Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pre-med & Med School Questions?


Pre-med & Med School Questions?
I am currently a second semester freshman at IUPUI in Indianapolis, and my major is currently Biology. I am also setting myself up for a Chemistry degree, if I want to switch or even double. I plan on a transfer either to Indiana Univ. or to Ball State Univ. later on in 2009-10. But I am also open to any other schools. My goal is obviously Med School, and I am currently aiming to be an Anesthesiologist. I just had a few questions that I can't find answers to, and wanted some help: 1. Are the degrees I am going for going to help/hurt/ or don't really matter when I apply? 2. Does a degree from a non-traditional school like IUPUI hurt me on an application. 3. What type of volunteer or internship jobs should/can I do? 4. Practice MCATs, where can I take them, how can I study. I want to do better than my best basically. 5. Finally, where should I go for med school? As far as my career goal to what school has the best or most renowed program for that career path?
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Honestly you can get into medical school with any degree, and in some cases, without even getting a degree. Each medical school has prerequisites to apply. Most require a year of general chemistry with lab, a year of physics with lab, a year of organic chemistry with lab, 1 or 2 years of biology with lab, some english, a year of math etc. Search for certain med schools and look at their requirements. Also, having a science degree doesn't make your chances of getting in that much higher, because they do want some diversity in degrees...but, a major in chemistry or biochemistry will give you a better background and make you more equipped for medical school classes. As for volunteering, anything and everything. Hospital hours are extremely important, also if you can, shadow a doctor. You should hope to have hundreds of volunteer hours and if you can work in a research lab, you should do that as well. As for practice MCATs, most universities have a pre-med club and these clubs often organize practice MCAT's. If not, you can buy study materials or practice tests online or at places like Barnes and Noble. As to med school, you should apply to as many med schools as you can because it seems that more and more people are getting rejected the first time they apply and they have to go back to get a masters and then apply again. So basically, go wherever you get in and if you get into more than one, look at factors like cost and how good their program and reputation is. Good luck

Popular Posts