Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What type of majors can you go into to become a registered dietitian?


What type of majors can you go into to become a registered dietitian?
I am currently a sophomore in high school and I am thinking about becoming a Dietician. I have researched some colleges with this major but I am not really finding any luck. I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and I was looking for a small college with this particular major. So far the only two I have found that I am really interested in are University of Cincinnati or maybe Purdue. (but its a big school) I have also found some good colleges that DO NOT have dietetics, but have majors either "Nutrition," or "Food Science." If I majored in one of those could I still become an RD? And If you know of any good small colleges close to Indiana with any of these majors that would help me alot! Thanks! : )
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Miami University is relatively small, and they have a dietetics program. It is about an hour closer to Indianapolis than UC is. This link will take you to the description of the major: http://www.miami.muohio.edu/academics/majorsminors/majors/dietetics.cfm As for the other majors, it depends. Nutrition is likely just another name for the same major. Food science would not be a path to becoming an RD. It is actually more of a specialized engineering degree, and you would focus on actual food production and things like that. For both the nutrition and dietetics majors you must check that it is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education.

Popular Posts