Saturday, July 2, 2011

Can you give me any information on the quality of life in Indianapolis (zip code 46260 area)?


Can you give me any information on the quality of life in Indianapolis (zip code 46260 area)?
Hi, there. My husband and I are considering relocating to Indianapolis (46260 area) from Tallahassee, FL. My stepson has recently gone to live with his mother there, hence the attraction. He appears to be enjoying the school, neighbors, etc., and we have visited once. All I really saw was a few overpasses as we got off the interstate and then her apartment complex. From what little I did see, I was not impressed with the area where she lives in particular. I felt unsafe just getting out of my car in the parking lot. There were lots of young men hanging around with nothing to do. I realize Indianapolis is a lot bigger than Tallahassee by far in population and land area. The size of Indianapolis seems daunting to me compared to what we are used to. Additionally, we have never even seen snow, much less had to drive in it. My son has not had his first winter there, yet, so even he does not know what to expect yet. Any suggestions, comments you can make about that area of Indy, etc. are welcome. We are concerned about the usual - safety, employment options, etc. My husband and I are both bilingual (English/Spanish). I currently work in Florida Pre-K and am finishing my degree for elementary education this year. I don't know how to even go about getting teacher certification in Indiana. My husband works construction and worries about how much work would be available during the winter months. We are still debating about making the move up there because it is so different. Thank you for your input. Best Wishes, Carren
Indianapolis - 4 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Indianapolis is a big place. It also has a lot of crime. Most newer additions just outside of Indianapolis are really nice. Greenwood would be a place I'd recommend. Bloomington is a nice, beautiful, college town just 45 minutes south of Indianapolis. Construction is booming and a bi-lingual could get a job at the hospital and/ or school system without a doubt. We also have a very nice Ivy Tech School here which usually has a full-house of students. Indiana does have snow...sometimes a lot, sometimes hardly any. We have the kind of equipment that usually keeps up with it making our roadways safe to drive. Eleven miles south of Bloomington is a large Monroe Lake if you like water sports, a beach, boating, or fishing. We have brand new Rails to Trails for walking, jogging, or biking. We have all the options of Broadway Plays, Entertainers, and Sports because of Indiana University, a lovely campus. John Mellencamp lives here too. Give Bloomington a try before you decide.


2
Indianapolis is great! There is so much to do here, and personally I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I checked out the zip code you gave (46260), and it looks to be in a really good area, just south of Carmel and Zionsville on the north side. While I do personally live on the south side, I have relatives and friends who live up there and I myself have visited and it really is a great place to live. Getting a job should be no problem at all for either construction or teaching, as both jobs are fruitful in Indy, and the fact that you personally are bilingual will make you an even better target for employment considering the rising amount of Hispanic and Spanish-speakers living in the area. We have a great governor, Mitch Daniels, who in light of the recent recession has kept our unemployment rates fairly low compared to the rest of the nation. As for snow, haha, I figure that would be more of an exciting thing than a frightening one, as the efficiency of our "plowers" is so good you could have a 12-inch snow in the night and have the roads cleared by sunrise! :] Good luck with your house hunting and I hope I could help.


3
If you want to be a teacher, do not go with public school system, they're cutting back. See, they just build a shiny new stadium for the colts football and now don't know how to pay for it and can't get more $ from the colts. So, trickle down to school jobs... South side is nice ( 46227) northside (46250) alot more zips than that though. No matter where you live like anywhere, crime can travel.


4
i live in 46038 (fishers) and i love it here. everything is less then 10 minuets away. HSE has some of the best schools in America and is always hiring for the ever expanding school system. its a great environment, no real bad crime,and tons of fun activities year round. I would definitely try to check out Hamilton county, the best in all of Indiana.

Popular Posts